Tuesday, June 21, 2016

One Love

"Heart Map"
acrylic & embroidery thread stitched into canvas
30" X 30"

This most recent painting is still in progress. I consider it 3/4 of the way completed. Originally, the inspiration came from weekly visits to the nursing home to spend time with my Dad who lives with advanced stage of Alzheimer's disease. Years ago when he was still working he traveled often as a Hospital Administrator. "Heart Map" is made up of "roads" of embroidery thread that are also "veins" of the heart. I created a map so that my Dad would never forget where he was...at the center the words "You Are Here" as a clear reminder. 

Now, as he is slowly losing the ability to form clear sentences I find that my way of communicating and being with him has changed. I am now a companion for him as he doesn't remember that I am his daughter. Alzheimer's is heartbreaking for the caregivers and loved ones. Although I have experienced that intense heartbreak I have simultaneously experienced a profound "heart opening"...one that allows me to hold more compassion and love for myself, my father, family, and friends. This "heart-opening" extends out to neighbors, to the community, and around the globe. So, as this is a personal healing expression I also feel that this can be a universal message as a call to raise our vibration and get into a "heart-centered consciousness" and awareness in order to help heal our planet. The recent tragedy in Orlando is devastating and, at the same time, urges us to come together in unity, in peace, and take compassionate action. Time for Self-Love remembrance, for One Love, and for Universal Love. Time for the Love Revolution! 

No comments: